I sat in an Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) luncheon recently discussing different generational traits from the four generations currently in the work force and how best to market to, work with, and, since it was AFP, how to raise money from them.
The speaker showed Blackbaud’s The Next Generation of American Giving before his presentation and I thought it was a great visualization of generational traits and trends.
- Fundraising is about people connecting to people.
- Generation Y/Millenials: Make giving mobile friendly and show them how their contribution directly impacts your organization
- Generation X: Make giving convenient through your website or through corporate giving programs
- Baby Boomers: Demonstrate responsible stewardship and develop monthly giving programs
- Matures/Silent Generation: As keepers of tradition, more responsive to direct mail and telemarketing
Blackbaud has also produced a full report detailing and further breaking down generational giving trends.